The Town of Hill was granted as New Chester in 1754 and incorporated in 1778. In 1837 it was renamed to honor N H governor Isaac Hill. The Northern Railroad was built through town in 1848 promoting the growth of a village along the Pemigewasset river. In the 1940ís the Federal government took the floodplain area to use as a flood control resivior so the people of Hill built a New Village on higher ground to the west near the present route 3A.
The original "Center" of town is marked by a 1799 church and 1847 meeting
house located up the hill west of the Village. Also of interest is the
Murray Hill area which in the late 1800ís became a summer home colony.
The "Old Village" is assesable by dogsled, ski or snowmobile in winter, biking, horseback riding, canoeing, or walking in the warmer months from entrances off New Chester rd in the New Village, Old town road along Needle Shop brook or from Profile Falls area off route 3A at the Bristol town line. NH dept of forests and lands manages the area for the Federal Government opens it to vehicular traffic one weekend in the fall each year. Contiguous with the flood control reservoir extending a few miles to the west across route 3A are the Thomas and Wade State Forests.